How much should I vary greens in green smoothies?
Question: How much should I vary greens in green smoothies? How many green veggies should we be using a day in our green smoothies?Thirsty? Check out more delicious and healthy smoothie recipes!
I have been blending green smoothies but only using baby spinach. It has the lightest "green" flavor. I didn't realize I had to switch it up.
Today, I made 1 quart of green smoothie.
2 cups frozen berries
2 cup water
2 cups spinach
(made slightly more than a quart)
I drank this througout the day.
1. Is it okay to drink a quart of juice throughout the day?
2. Should I use 3 different greens a day and just alternate throughout the week?
3. Should I be switching fruits too?
What great green smoothie questions! You are right on target when saying that we should vary our greens in our smoothies.
It is important... as there are many different types of beneficial nutrients in each set of greens. Some are packed with iron, others protein, and so forth. Our bodies need a rainbow of nutrients.
Also, Victoria Boutenko has research in her book showing that greens all have their own type of alkaloid that can be harmful if consumed on a regular basis. She recommends a minimum of 2 types of greens rotated throughout the week. And to rotate to 2 other types of greens the following week.
Example of changing greens:
Week #1 - Spinach and Kale Green Smoothies
Week #2 - Lettuce and Swiss Card Green Smoothies
Week #3 - Bok Choy and Spinach Green Smoothies
Week #4 - Kale and Beet tops Green Smoothies
To answer your other questions:
1. Yes, you can drink your green smoothies throughout the day. That's completely fine. It is probably better for your system to have the smoothie slowly going through your digestive track instead of a gush of it all at once. I actually prefer to drink mine throughout the morning.
Just make sure that the leftovers are chilled in the refrigerator or in a cold thermos.
2. Using 3 types of greens throughout the week is a great idea. But the following week, change at least 1-2 of those greens. Perhaps, you could keep using spinach throughout those weeks... but keep changing up the other two types of greens.
3. It's always a great idea to switch up fruits just like the greens. Every fruit has its benefits. I have a hard time with this one. I prefer blueberries, pineapple, and banana. So I am constantly trying to break out of my Green Smoothie mold.
You don't have to be so rigid about changing up fruits every week. But I would encourage you to try new varieties. Maybe... You just might find another favorite green smoothie combination. :)
I hope this answers your green smoothie questions!
Want 135 energizing smoothie recipes all bundled into a convenient handbook? Check out my ebook, Smoothie Handbook for Health.
The contents are not meant to
diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. This website is for sharing knowledge and information from the research and experience of DaNae. She encourages you to
make your own health decisions based upon your research
and discussion with your own qualified professionals.